Monday, October 4, 2010

Gratitude



"The root of joy is gratefulness...It is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful."


Monday morning...beginning of a new week, full of things to do. I have an unusually full "To Do" list and a limited time to get everything accomplished. Suffice it to say, I woke up feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Thankfully, in the midst of a conversation, I had a moment of clarity, in which I remembered how wonderful and full my life is, right at this moment. I was granted a pause, some "breathing room," where I truly felt how fortunate I am...and I was filled with gratitude.
I mentioned this "revelation" to the person with whom I was speaking, and she observed that part of the blessing was the ability to recognize, in the moment, how grateful I am for my life. So many people, she continued, fail to realize and appreciate how beautiful their lives are until they reflect upon them at the end. She said that it was truly a gift to be able to appreciate one's live as it's being lived...I like that.

After the conversation, I reflected on how absolutely amazing my life is and how grateful I am for all of it.
That's not to say that it's perfect (far from it!) or that there are some lessons that I would have preferred to learn in a less painful way, or even some parts I would have liked to skipped all together.
But the reality is, that each and every event, painful or wonderful, was necessary to get me to this exact moment...sitting on my couch, in my pajamas, cat by my side, typing these words.

I think it's important to acknowledge and cultivate gratitude...it's much easier to focus on the bad stuff. But really, is that how you want to spend your time? Thinking about what could go wrong, what you don't like about your life, complaining? I used to be that person...I have worked really hard to change that. It's not always easy, but I'm here to tell you, it makes life SO much sweeter!

So, thank you, dear readers, for giving me the opportunity to share these thoughts with you.







2 comments:

  1. That was great to read -- thank you for writing it! I needed that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure!!! Please cheer for those Boys in Blue in my absence!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete