Monday, March 28, 2011

Surrender to what is...




"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." 
— Laozi


I learned long ago that there are no coincidences. I believe that everything that happens in life is part of a greater plan and I am privy to only a portion of the larger picture at any given moment. Some of the most meaningful periods of my life have started as the most painful.

I am in a phase of transition. 
Transition, by its very nature, is messy and confusing; struggle just pushes you deeper in the muck. I envision a pool of quicksand...the more I thrash around, trying to get out of the messy predicament I find myself in, the more stuck and deeply enmeshed in the mess I become.

I once read that baby chicks break out of their shell because to remain within their incubated environment would kill them...the atmosphere that once sustained them in their embryonic state has now become toxic. And so it is with us...

My yoga teacher made a statement in class today that resonated with me. She was referring to connecting with our breath in our practice. She said that surrender makes room for release--you can go deeper into a pose when you let go and focus your breath on the location of the tension within your body. When you are gripping (imagine a clenched fist), there is no room for movement. When you relax (imagine the same fist opening up), you find space that was not available moments before.

I can apply that to my current state: if I allow myself to become consumed with fear, I will remain consumed with fear and nothing will change. If I release my grip even the tiniest amount, the faintest whisper of faith can come in...there is space for movement and with movement comes change. 
Change is good.
Change invites unlimited possibility.
Change means that you don't have to stay stuck.

You are limited only by your imagination...get connected to that little voice within you...that's your heart speaking to you.

Listen...




No comments:

Post a Comment