Monday, May 27, 2013

For the Vets



 "...saying Happy Memorial Day to a veteran is like saying have a good time at a funeral."~~~M.A.


Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for the men & women who have bravely served our country. It is not a 3 day weekend or a good excuse for a BBQ or the unofficial beginning of the summer season.

I often forget that.

It's interesting to reflect on how the original meaning of this (and other) holiday(s) has evolved into something completely different.
Now, I am not getting up on a soapbox; I need reminders just like everyone else.
The quote which opens today's blog was posted on the FB page of a guy I know. He's a vet and I was deeply struck by his post. I never thought about how this holiday must feel to the vets who served, lost friends, and are forever changed by their experiences in the field.
I cannot even begin to imagine....

So on this day of remembrance, I wanted to take a moment to say
 
THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment