Thursday, December 13, 2012

What makes your heart sing?



Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love


This has been quite an eventful week. I am rediscovering what makes me happy, what feeds my soul, what makes my heart sing....AND I am doing more of THAT!!
I am choosing to take Liz Gilbert's advice and "...participate relentlessly in the manifestation...(of my)own blessings."

Here is a list of the ways that I have done just that:

* confirmed travel plans for the new year
* bought a Christmas tree for me & Daisy
* baked cookies
* resumed writing this blog
* signed up for a yoga workshop
* donated unused clothing & other items to the church
* finished my out of town Christmas shopping...Santa's on his way!
* enjoyed holiday dinner with girlfriends
* looking forward to annual holiday brunch with more girlfriends!
* had a long overdue phone conversation with a friend in NY


At dinner last night (great restaurant in Lincoln Square called Selmarie's...check it out next time you're in town!), one of my friends shared that she made a list of all the blessings that have come into her life since she got laid off a few years ago...a new take on a gratitude list! I was amazed and incredibly inspired by the things she shared: everything from people she has been able to spend more time with, to interests that she has been able to persue, to ways that she has been able to push herself beyond her comfort zone and challenge herself to be "courageous"!

Just amazing!

What I learned: it's all about perspective. There is a silver lining in every situation...it all depends on whether you/I choose to look at the obstacle or the opportunity. Focusing on the obstacle usually keeps us stuck, stagnant, and frozen in (what we perceive to be) the "problem". Focusing on the opportunity gets us/me moving, trying to find the tiny opening for the light to come through. 

I once heard someone say that "Depression can't hit a moving target"...it's kinda like that!

So, I challenge you to go on a little scavenger hunt....find out what inspires you, brings you joy, makes your heart sing...then find ways to incorporate more of THAT into your life! Particularly during the holidays, we are all so busy that we often neglect ourselves...consider it a gift to yourself!
You SOOOOO deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment